Important info - improper care of your items may affect your warranty
Preventing Your Skin from Turning Green with Fashion Jewellery
- We have all experienced the green skin discoloration from wearing fashion jewellery at some point.
- This is a common occurrence and is usually caused by the presence of copper in the jewellery.
Understanding the Process:
- Copper is the metal that causes the skin to turn green.
- Copper is often used in fashion jewellery because it is a stronger and more durable material compared to pure platinum, gold, or silver.
- The green discoloration occurs due to the oxidation of the copper when it comes in contact with sweat, body lotions, perfumes, or any wet substances.
Preventing the Discoloration:
- One way to prevent green skin is to invest in pure gold, platinum, or silver jewellery. However, this may not be feasible for everyone, especially for everyday jewellery.
- Keeping perfumes, lotions, and oils away from the jewellery can help prevent the oxidation process from starting.
- Painting a clear coat of nail polish on the back of the jewellery can also prevent the skin from turning green.
- Avoiding lotions and perfumes on the skin where the jewellery will be sitting directly on can also help prevent discoloration.
- It is best to avoid wearing fashion jewellery to the beach or pool where you may sweat or come in contact with water and sunscreens.
- While it is difficult to completely avoid copper in jewellery, there are steps you can take to prevent your skin from turning green.
- Try some of these tips and tricks to keep your skin looking and feeling great while still enjoying your favourite fashion jewellery pieces.